Simple and primal lifestyle choices translate to healthy ones. Health isn't just in our diets or in our exercise routines; it's in our everyday lives. Unfortunately, the world is accumulating toxins and products we buy are full of harsh chemicals, preservatives, and poisons. These affect people, animals, and the environment as a whole. We have strayed too far from a basic and simple lifestyle that makes sense. Homemade natural cleaning products are easy to make, inexpensive, and completely customizable. You don't want animals coming into contact with surfaces that have been treated with harmful and synthetic products. Once you make your own cleaning spray, you'll never want to buy again.
Start with a 32oz (or larger) spray bottle. Make sure it is chemical and BPA-free. Recycled is always a plus. You can use a smaller bottle as well, but in our household, we go through cleaning sprays at lightning speed.
1. Fill the bottle 2/3 full with distilled water.
2. Add ½ to ¾ teaspoonful of all-natural dish detergent or Castile soap. Seventh Generation and Ecover are both great. I LOVE Dr. Bronner's Castile soap.
3. Add 1-2 tablespoonfuls of white vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.
4. Add enough rubbing alcohol to fill the bottle to the top.
5. Finish off by adding 20-30 drops of essential oils.
6. Shake well and with each time used.
Adding essential oils is the best part! You can combine any you feel have a pleasant odor. For example, if you like Christmas smells, combine peppermint oils with those of clove, cinnamon, or orange. If using cinnamon leaf/bark oils, use no more than 5 drops per bottle. Cinnamon oil is strong and can irritate skin if used in larger quantities. The same applies to oils like citrus or peppermint. Tea tree oil is amazing and full of antibacterial and antiviral properties, but don't use too much around animals---it's toxic when used externally or internally. Lavender is calming and complements citrus oils like lemon or orange. Eucalyptus oil is another good choice and pairs well with peppermint. So experiment and have fun!